Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Taking chances

So my DH is a great man. I couldn't be happier and he knows how I work. A few years ago we got on a discussion (not the first one we've had) about baptism. He really loves me and knew that if he came on strong about his feelings on this subject I would immediatly be put on the defense (a trait I learned not so thankfully from my dad).

I was baptized when I was 13 at a Methodist church my family and I were members of growing up. I went through classes aboout what that meant to accept the Lord into your life and to follow Him. I felt at that time I was ready and I accept Him and promised to lead my life in a way that is pleasing to Him. I then was "baptized" by a method called pouring. I had the option of being immersed but most Methodist churches did not have a baptistry. The poring worked just like you would think it would. A pitcher of water was poured over my head as I bent over a large bowl.

Jared has always felt that this wasn't enough. To truly be baptized was to be immersed. The kind husband that he is over the years he has mentioned it and how he wants me to be rebaptized. His concern for what would happen to me after I was gone was touching to say the least. He knew that I would have to discover this on my own.

Many of you I've talked about this before. I have prayed about it and read my bible and still felt that my heart was in it back then why doesn't it count? I feel overall like I've led my life in a way that follows God- not to say I'm perfect we all slip up, but overall my thoughts and my actions are Godly focused. But then came Ashley W. A random conversation on a mommies night out at dinner was what really led me to this point. Her personality is one I really enjoy, sarcastic, funny and dead serious at the same time. (You'd have to know her to get that). Her comment to me was -"Do you really want to take that chance?". Over and over it talked about immersion in the bible. I knew that, I had read that. Did I want to take that chance? That question direct as it may be has been on my mind for a month.

My desision has been made. NO!!! I don't want to take that chance. I want to spend eternity with my Lord and my family. So with a happy heart, Jared will baptize me on Sunday evening after class. I'm so excited that he will be able to do it since he is the one who started this whole thing. I hope if you are reading this you'll be there with us to celebrate! We take enough chances in life, this is one I won't be taking.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Rachel! That's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you and Jared's heart will be at peace in this area. I think it speaks much love both from Jared and from yourself that he was willing to risk the tipping of the boat (so to speak) and that you were willing to hear his concerns. I am working ..but you better believe I will be there if I can scam anyone into working for me for a couple of hours!

    ReplyDelete